Monday, January 24, 2005

The tryst with commonality

A tryst with commonality

Before making it to IIM Bangalore, I was a really common person. I mean I was just another commerce guy, with nothing major to boast about. Eating at roadside stalls and travelling in crowded Mumbai trains was the common routine....
And yet, come MBA and how life changes! Maybe it was bangalore. Maybe it was IIM. Maybe it was the NPV of my future cash flows - but things changed. Moving in rics or cars, having travelled all over the world and dining only at finest places.....somehwere I realised that I had lost touch with commonality......

The beauty of common things - common people...just like I was....a small trip to Lalbaug (who would EVER go to that place) on a special 15 rupee ticket took me to a beautiful flower show...some of the prettiest flowers.....loads of people all around me - people with huge bulky cameras and software pros with sophisticated cameras....people enjoying....a passing thought told me that something similar in Europe would be a 5 EUR show...

And then the steeply priced 10 rupee sugarcane juice was too tempting - oh the joy of roadside stuff! Long long forgotten in the triamasus and sticky tofee desserts was the candy floss.....and as funny as it may sound, I decided to pick my last CCD bill, about 150 bucks for 2, and see how it stretches in the common world.....and man i did splurge! Suddenly money had much more power :)...something i had almost forgotten....MTR dosas and Coffee board coffees ....so much better and the fun of having so many others with you rather than in exclusive retreats
Luxuries are great....but not as much if you get used to them.....reminded me of Jagjit Singh - i mean how finicky can people get....artistes who can be at peace only when they are in a certain suite of a five star hotel, and are served teas in china cups, and hazaar other things that NEED to happen....funny as it may sound, i realised that in some ways I was also getting used to things....
Nothing like a trek to show you the value of comforts that you take for granted....try sleeping with a single blanket in the himalayays, or on a hard bed in rural maharshtra, and your bed aint the same. Eat naachni and brinjals, and mess food will seem heavenly.....

And yet as I move high up, if there are 1934 things that need to happen correctly before I feel happy, is that really worth it? If I lose the common touch, i believe its more likely....sometimes maybe to be truly grateful to life's gifts, you need to miss them for a while.....if thats the price for gratitude its really a small price to pay....

3 Comments:

Blogger Mihir said...

Welcome to blogging :) Nice article as always

January 26, 2005 at 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, as always..but importantly, mirrors what I earnestly feel but won't have been able to put in so convincing words!
- Zindadil Faiz

January 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incredibly awe-aspiring... man i've heard of you a lot got ur pic on ma cell phone and also know your past records... but i guess you made a wrong decision to first quit ca followed by quitting mba.... gud luck tho!

March 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home